Benchers are both elected and appointed in the province of BC; 25 are elected while up to "6 non-lawyers are selected by the provincial Cabinet to represent the public interest." They must:
- "attend all Benchers meetings (at least eight per year plus an annual weekend session);
- attend meetings of the committees and task forces to which they are appointed;
- act as judge on discipline hearing panels and credentials hearing panels;
- interview articled students;
- advise members on Law Society activities, and on matters of professional responsibility;
- act as liaison with local and county bar associations, and members of the public."
Bencher nominations for 2016 are due to the Law Society by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 15 and the election will take place on Monday, November 16. The election winners will hold their positions for a two-year term commencing January 1, 2016 and ending December 31, 2017. The first meeting of 2016 is to be held on January 29.
View the Bencher calendar for upcoming Annual General Meeting and Election information, as well as a calendar of 2016 meetings. The AGM for 2015 will be held in just under one month on October 14.