Although we are still months away from the new Act coming into force, and there is a two-year transition period, it’s not too soon to start planning for the upcoming changes. Here are some things you can do as a society to get started on this process:
- Consider creating a small governance committee to take charge of the transition project and lead the consultation of members
- Raise awareness of the upcoming changes among your members.
- If changes need to be made to your bylaws during the transition period, things will go more smoothly during the drafting and approval process if you’re not in a time crunch.
- If your society only meets once a year at an AGM, that provides only two chances to pass a transition application.
- Transition packages will be available as of August 29, 2016.